The Counsellors working in the NHS Network was established in 2014 and had its first meeting on the 12th of June 2014 in Manchester attended by 50 counsellors (in statutory and third sector organisations in the North West) working with NHS patients in a variety of primary/secondary care or IAPT services. This meeting was followed by a second held in December 2014 and was hosted by BACP and the University of Central Lancashire (UCLAN). The network is supported by North West Psychological Professions Network (PPN North West), BACP and local universities.
The aims of the network were established at the inaugural meeting and are as follows:
- to promote the contribution of the counselling profession to NHS patients
- to encourage networking and the development of professional leadership
- to support continuation of professional development
- to contribute to the aims and objectives of PPN North West as part of the Centre for Professional Workforce Development.
There will be two meetings a year, held in venues in the North West. These are usually held from 1:30pm to 4:30pm and have a clinical focus. Details of these meetings are provided to members of the group by the network.
For further information please contact the Chair of the Network,
- BACP Events in the North West Area
- BACP Healthcare Resources including online training modules, Guidance, and Templates
- BACP Policy Papers including "Parity of Esteem"
- BACP General Research Papers
- BACP Guidance supporting members involvement in the elections
05/04/2017 - University of Central Lancashire Agenda
- Compassion Fatigue – The Cost of Caring - Jackie Williams, Lecturer - Psychological Therapies, School of Community Health and Midwifery
06/07/2016 - University of Central Lancashire Agenda
- Recognising Depression in Male Counselling Clients who Do Not Fit Standard Diagnostic Criteria - Chris Athanasiadis, Lecturer in Counselling & Psychological Therapies, University of Central Lancashire
- The Habits of Happiness - Lowri Dowthwaite, Lecturer in Psychological Interventions, University of Central Lancashire
02/12/2015 - University of Central Lancashire Agenda
- Hidden Trauma - Angela West, Senior Counsellor, Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust
03/06/2015 - University of Salford Agenda
- Training for Appropriate Practice - Dr Anthony Hickey, Lecturer, Directorate of Midwifery and Counselling, University of Salford
- Research and Counselling for Depression - Andy Hill, BACP Head of Research
- Counselling in Cancer Care - Anne Crook, Counsellor Psycho-oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust
- PPN Update - Clare Baguley, Program Manager – PPN, Health Education England’s North West Team
03/12/2014 - University of Central Lancashire Agenda
- Getting the Most from the MDS - Richard Davis, Senior Lecturer & Course Team Leader for MSc in Counselling/Psychotherapy, University of Central Lancashire
- Update on Psychological Professions Network - Clare Baguley, Programme Manager - Psychological Professions Network, Health Education England’s North West Team
- Training for Appropriate Practice - Dr Anthony Hickey, Lecturer, Directorate of Midwifery & Counselling, University of Salford
12/06/2014 - Kings Meeting House, Manchester
PPN North West and BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) co-hosted this lively and informative workshop that was attended by 50 counsellors from statutory and Third Sector organisations, who work with NHS patients across the region.
The aim of the event was to provide a springboard for the creation of a professional network for counsellors working with NHS patients in the North West, to:
- Promote the contribution of the counselling profession to NHS patients
- Encourage networking and the development of professional leadership
- Support continuing professional development
- Contribute to the aims and objectives of PPN North West as part of the Centre for Professional Workforce Development (CPWD)
Report of the Consultation Event (along with actions and next steps)